Core Values: How Does Happiness Influence Your Business?
Does your role as a marketing or sales professional help you spread happiness?
In a recent episode of Mad Marketing TV, Jenn Lim, CEO and Chief Happiness Officer of Delivering Happiness and a Zappos.com consultant, discussed the science behind happiness and how happiness can be applied as a business model.
Delivering Happiness actually grew from work at Zappos and the book Delivering Happiness, A Path to Profits, Passion, and Purpose written by Zappos CEO, Tony Hsieh. According to Jenn, the things that make companies long-term sustainable aren’t what you would typically think. Long-term sustainable companies have:
- A strong company culture
- Higher purpose that employees can aspire to
Developing Happiness: 10 Core Values
As Jenn explains, the idea of delivering happiness is Zappos’ higher purpose. The company’s core values reflect this idea; instilling these core values allowed Zappos to make company culture a top priority. Zappos’ ten core values are:
- Deliver WOW Through Service
- Embrace and Drive Change
- Create Fun and A Little Weirdness
- Be Adventurous, Creative, and Open-Minded
- Pursue Growth and Learning
- Build Open and Honest Relationships with Communication
- Build Positive Team and Family Spirit
- Do More with Less
- Be Passionate and Determined
- Be Humble
Developing Core Values for Your Organization
When it comes to developing core values for your organization, Delivering Happiness recommends a ten-step approach, beginning with:
- Step #1: Decide if you’re committed to running a values-based company
- Step #2: Figure out your personal values
- Step #3: Get key people’s values
According to Jenn, the benefits of developing core values for your company include:
- Boost profits and productivity
- Increase employee retention
- Strengthen your brand and more…
If you treat your employees right and have a strong company culture, then the other things such as having great customer service or being more productive come more naturally.
What core values help guide your company’s activities and define your company culture? Share with us by leaving a comment below.